Saturday, October 19, 2013

Too much to do... so little time.

October 4, 2013

On our way home Cindy and I try to talk about what things need to be taken care of over the weekend.  Since Dr. Brinker already told us that I will be in the hospital for 4 weeks minimum and I am trying to think long term.  Just in case something bad was to happen to me during all this.  Because I take care of all the bills I have a lot of information to give to Cindy.  How to get to all the accounts, passwords, etc.  When I pay certain bills.

I tell her that I need to double check that all the beneficiary information on all my life insurance policies is accurate and up to date.  We don't have the luxury to ignore the possibility that I might die because of this disease.  I also tell her I need to contact the insurance company and see what all this is going to cost us out of pocket.  Off the top of my head I already know it will cost $3000.00 or more this year alone.

Then there are all those phone calls that you have to make to let people know what is going on.  As long as the girls received the news from us that was what was most important to me.  But then there are brothers and sisters, other relatives, friends, bosses, etc.  It seemed like every time we turned around we remembered someone else we needed to call.  After a certain point I just decided I would post on Facebook what was going on.  I just wanted to let people know.

Those first phone calls are the hardest.  It is so difficult to get the words out without crying or having that crack in your voice when you tell someone you have been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia.  I remember we let Karlye stay home from school that Friday and on the drive up to Grand Rapids I called the school to let them know she would be absent.  I also felt it was important to tell the secretaries and school councilor that I had just been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia and we needed their help to make sure that Karlye is doing o.k.  We also emailed all of her teachers and ask them to keep an eye on her for us and to make sure that she is able to focus on her school work.  You see I think it would have been pretty easy for Karlye to close herself off.  There just happened to be a choir get together that Friday night and we requested permission for Karlye to attend even though she wasn't at school because of the circumstances and Mr. Ehlers granted permission and Mrs. Selvidge was just fantastic with helping her that night.  I am so glad that she has such good people in her life.

I talked to Cindy and told her that since I was probably going into the hospital Monday that I would like to have all the kids over for the afternoon either Saturday of Sunday.  Saturday ended up being the better time because of schedules and such.

I make sure to balance the bank accounts and pay the bills we can pay.  I give Cindy all the info that she will need just in case I can't take care of things for some reason.  Since most everything is online either one of us should be able to take care of what we need to.

Since we didn't get much sleep the night before we go to bed early and get ready for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment