Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What a difference a few days make.

Well it is November 20, 2013 a Wednesday.  The last time I posted to my blog was last Friday. Things changed so much over four days.  Over the weekend my counts started recovering and almost doubling on a daily basis.  So much so that Dr. Brinker's PA was telling me I would be home by the end of the week.  Well that turned into that I could go home Monday and then to I got to come home Tuesday.  What a whirlwind of a few days.  In a week I went from being in the ICU to being discharged and at home all by myself.  I guess that is the crazy thing.  I spent 42 days in the hospital with people checking on me every hour and sometimes so many people stopping in to check my condition that it almost drove me nuts.  To go from that to being alone all day and taking care of myself is going to take a little to get use to.

Well I am not alone.  Sugar is taking care of me.  But, it is funny how I have had no interruptions today and I was able to make appointments and phone calls without someone walking in and needing to take a vital or something.  But, it is weird to have to give myself my own medications and now I have to give myself shots of Lovenox twice a day because of the DVT (blood cot) that I received  from my PIC line when my platelets increased the last time.  I can tell my platelets are coming back up because the clot is swelling a little and hurting on top of that.  It is a good thing I am on blood thinners.

I still have to do blood test twice a week and that is going to be coordinated through Dr. Patel's office at Lakeland Oncology center in St. Joseph.  I have a appointment tomorrow already.  My next bone marrow biopsy is already scheduled for December 4, 2013.  Dr. Brinker decided my counts are coming back so fast he wanted to do one in two weeks instead of 3 to 4 like he had originally thought.

So, besides being home not much is going on.  I have time to start dealing with the financial situation that this disease has put us in.  We have already received our first bill from Spectrum Health for part of my hospital stay.  Let's just say my portion is in the 4 digits and that is not a good thing and I know that is just the first bill and not the final bill.

I do want to again thank everyone that has donated money, sent gas cards or just kept me in their thoughts and prayers.  I know that without you I would not be home before Thanksgiving.  A big Thank You goes out to all of you!  I hope that you have a special Thanksgiving with your families as I will be able to have with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment