Thursday, December 12, 2013

Back in the hospital.

Well, I am back in the hospital for what they call consolidation chemo.  I know I posted on Facebook that Dr. Brinker said I was in remission.  Truth is that they don't really consider you in remission from  leukemia until you have made it five years after treatment without getting the leukemia back.  So, first stage is Induction and second is four rounds of consolidation.

Plan is for me to be in here for six days.  I am in here a little early so I can be there for Karlye's surgery on the 19th.  Dr. Brinker somewhat threw me a twist this morning when we were discussion the follow up treatments after this round of chemo.  The chemo knocks out your immune system and there will be blood transfusions and platelet infusions.  He told me that I would need blood work done Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  When I reminded him about Karlye's surgery on the 19th, which is a Thursday, I told him that I would be in Chicago on Friday.  He got a little crappy with me when I asked if there was a way for me to get my blood drawn while I was in Chicago.  He tells me that.  "I guess if you are bleeding you can go to the emergency room and then they will do a blood test and you can explain your situation."  Told me that he or doctor Patel did not have privileges at University of Chicago and it would be to hard to co-ordinate one blood transfusion there.  I just want a blood test done.  It takes forever to get a blood transfusion setup and done anyways.  I will figure it out myself.

Karlye's CT scan the other day solidified the plan for surgery.  Not much changed except a clearer view of the lymph nodes behind the collar bone and a possible one on her left side.  None were seen in her chest so that was good news.  Dr. Blair said she would remove anything she feels is suspicious.

So far I have been through my first round of chemo.  Today is my day off and then another round tomorrow.  I had a headache this morning and still have a dull headache but it is manageable.  Stomach does feel a little weird but I am still eating ok.

Dr. Brinker informed me that this is high dose chemo and some of the side affects of the high dose is that it can affect my liver and kidneys.  It can also affect my balance so I need to be on the look out for that.  It can make my eyes dry and red.  But, he has given me drops to help prevent that.  It could make me nauseous, more because of the higher dose, because I have had this drug before.  There are medicines that they can give me for any side affects.  I just hope no other side affects come up.

He did say I would go home Monday if I was feeling well.  Of course then I am wondering why I would not be feeling well?  That comment along with my PA Neska making comments about me staying well and out of the ICU kind of makes me think but, fingers crossed.  I told her that I would be out Monday.  No time for me to be in here any longer anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment