Sunday, December 22, 2013

Karlye update Sunday 12-22-13

Karlye has been getting up more overnight and today.  She took a long walk out of the room and to the family room which is down the hall a bit.  It was a good distance for her.

We saw the doctor that is on call for Dr. Blair and she told us that Karlye is doing well.  So, the plan right now is for her to get magnesium over two hours and then she can get disconnected from her IV and the monitors that she is hooked up to.  That will make it easier for her to move around and go to the bathroom. She has two tubes in her neck for drainage from her incision. The doctor said as long as there is not much drainage they will come out tomorrow and she can be discharged. We are all looking forward to that happening.

The doctor explained to us that Karlye will be on calcium supplements probably over the next couple weeks and a hormone replacement Synthroid for the rest of her life.

As far as I am concerned Dr. Brinker wanted blood work Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  But, because of the holidays Dr. Patel's office scheduled my blood work for Monday and Thursday of next week and the week after.  My blood work from Friday showed that my platelet counts are on the decline at 54,000.  If they get to 15,000 they will need to give me platelets.  My white blood count is dropping as expected and my hemoglobin is staying up for now.

Depending on when Karlye gets discharged and we get back home I will see where I can I get my blood work done. The way that I am feeling now I don't think I will need a blood transfusion.  I might need platelets and depending on the blood work they might need to give me platelets so that I can make it through Christmas to my next blood draw.

Today's plan is to get Karlye to walk as many times as possible and do her breathing exercises.


No comments:

Post a Comment